????SR-78 Closure + SD Must Address Bicycle/Car Traffic Collision Deaths
The quickest way to get caught up on the most important things happening today in San Diego.
This post was contributed by a community member.
Hello, everyone! I’m back with your new edition of the San Diego Patch newsletter. Sip that coffee/tea, savor that toast and strawberry jam, and read on to find out what’s happening in our town today:
- Some SR-78 lanes are still closed westbound.
- SD needs to address bicycle/car traffic collision deaths.
- Styrofoam Ban is on for April 1.
But first, today’s weather:
Rain becoming heavier; windy. ????️High: 60, Low: 51.
This great local business sponsors the San Diego Patch newsletter. We love what they do, and we think you will, too:
San Diego Homeowners — Ready to save money and enjoy cleaner, renewable energy? The folks at Sunrun, the largest residential solar company in the U.S., can help you assess the impact of solar on your energy bills. If your average electric bill is over $150, you’re eligible to start saving. Solar credits will dramatically decrease in April, so reach out to Steven Chong at Sunrun today to learn how much you can save.
Want to see your business featured in this spot? Click here to get started.
Here are four of the top stories today in San Diego:
- The deluge of rain resulting in a sinkhole in a 50-year-old culvert, has forced the westbound lanes of State Route 78 to be closed until further notice. Since Wednesday, two additional sinkholes have been discovered. Crews working 24 hours a day have been working to shore up the area. The work would usually take 3 – 4 weeks to complete, but Caltrans is determined to get it done sooner. (NBC San Diego)
- The City of San Diego has needed to concentrate on repairing potholes throughout communities. Now, the San Diego County Bike Coalition is asking the City to concentrate its efforts on safe street infrastructure to prevent accidents and deaths. The group wants the City to build additional bike paths and upgrade traffic signals at the most deadly intersections and crosswalks across the region. (FOX 5 San Diego)
- A long-awaited ban on polystyrene foam will be enacted on April 1. The ban, which was delayed by three years as a result of litigation from restaurants and container companies, will cover foam egg cartons, containers and meat trays, coolers, ice chests, dock floats, and mooring buoys. Now, some businesses are requesting a two-year reprieve for raw meat foam packaging. If you have questions, details can be found at sandiego.gov/environmental-services/recycling/pf-ban. (Del Mar Times)
- Need an oil change? At a Jiffy Lube in Oceanside, you will notice that the worker servicing your car is female. Customers are usually surprised at first, but most are supportive. The women say their love for cars brought them into their current jobs. Currently, only 20 percent of workers in the automobile service industry in Southern California are women, but the number is growing. (NBC 7 San Diego)
Today in San Diego:
- Music and Motion – MountainView/Beckwourth Branch Library (11:30 AM)
- Basic ESL I – SWC/Otay Mesa Branch Library (12:00 PM)
- Red Cross Blood Drive – Rancho Peñasquitos Library (12:00 PM)
- DYH@L: KinderCamp – Skyline Hills Branch Library (12:00 PM)
- Adult Social Scrabble – North Clairemont Branch Library (1:00 PM)
- Study and Chill – Malcolm X Library and Performing Arts Center (3:00 PM)
From my notebook:
- ABLE flight crew: “San Diego Police ABLE crew members get ready to take flight as the sun sets. They’re one of our most valuable resources for our department and neighboring agencies. The City of San Diego is approximately 472 square miles, with about 93 miles of shoreline that include bays, lagoons and the Pacific Ocean. ABLE covers all of it and then some to keep our neighborhoods safe.” (San Diego Police Department via Facebook)
- An iconic duo: “Dolce & Gabbana. Tiffany & Co. Dooney & Bourke. Gucci & Chanel? In the last case, we are aren’t talking about luxury brands, but this pair still make an iconic duo! Fortunately, you won’t need a passion for fashion to make these sweet guinea pigs part of your life.” (San Diego Humane Society via Facebook)
- Visit the shack: “We are celebrating the iconic Windansea Surf Shack, which has not only been honored as a San Diego historical site, but March 20th is now ‘Surf Shack at Windansea Beach Day’! ???? Have you visited the shack?” (Visit San Diego via Facebook)
- Come work for the library: “The San Diego Public Library and the City of San Diego are hiring! Turn the page on a new chapter of your career THIS Tuesday, March 22 at the Balboa Park Club (2144 Pan American Rd. W) from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.” (Library Foundation SD via Facebook)
More from our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
Now you’re in the loop and ready to head out the door on this Tuesday! I’ll see you around.
— Bettyann Pernice
Have a news tip or suggestion for an upcoming San Diego Patch newsletter? Contact me at [email protected]