Managing Employee Drivers – A Guide for Business Owners
It’s important that business owners make sure that they properly educate their employee drivers. Failure to do this can mean that a company’s business car insurance premiums can turn into a very costly expense. This is why this guide for managing employee drivers through education is here to inform and instruct.
This is perhaps the most important thing to take heed of because if a vehicle has any defect which could make it more prone to being involved in an accident then that’s a serious problem. If the driver drives a defective vehicle then this could make a business car insurance policy null and void because the driver willingly ignored a defect. If a vehicular defect is noticed by the driver then they should report it immediately.
Against the Law
Some things are just plain against the law and should be avoided at all costs because it not only increases the chances of an accident, it will also bring about legal ramifications on both the driver and business owner.
- Avoid driving if under the influence of alcohol.
- Never drive if under the influence of drugs.
- Abstain from using a mobile phone whilst driving; if a phone call has to be made then stop at a service station.
- Drivers should avoid exceeding the speed limit.
Problems will inevitably arise at some point when driving, and all employee drivers should be prepared for any such situations.
- If the driving conditions turn bad then be prepared to either slow down or take a break until the weather clears.
- Any vulnerable passengers and cargo should have facilities to be properly cared for if the vehicle becomes immobilised or the estimated journey time significantly changes.
- If fatigue occurs for any reason then drivers should always make sure that they stop at a service station and rest.
- Corrective eyewear for drivers who have problems with their eyesight should always be worn whilst driving.
- Any health problems which could flare up whilst driving should be reported to the necessary figure so the company is aware of these possible issues and any necessary changes can be made.
Having a good driving policy, adhered to by driver employees, will protect the integrity of your business car insurance and ensure good quotes from Specialistrisks